2015-08-31

Jinju naengmyeon(cold noodles) (진주 냉면)

Jinju is well-known for its naengmyeon(cold noodles in chilled broth). People say Jinju naengmyeon is one of the three most famous naengmyeons in Korea along with Pyeongyang and Hamheung naengmyeon. Come to think of it, it is no wonder that cold noodles has become so popular in this hot region (of course in summer).



Jinju naengmyeon is kind of unique in that sliced yukjeon(Korean-style beef pancake) is topped with other common toppings such as sliced cucumber, pear and pickled radish.

There's a very famous naengmyeon place called Hayeonok(하연옥), but I don't recommend that place. I used to go there often, but after it was moved to a bigger place and had a few chains, I felt the taste was not the same as before. More importantly, after its appearances on TV, too many people come to check it out. I guess Jinjuities don't go there any more. When I took my friend there a few weeks ago, we had to wait for about 50 minutes, and the naengmyeon we got was not cold at all. It was just a disappointment. However, if you are so-called a gourmet, who enjoys visiting famous restaurants(맛집), the broth is worth the long waiting because seafood is included unlike other cold noodles.

Then, where's my recommendation? I recommend you Sariwon Seollongtang Naengmyeon (사리원설렁탕냉면) in the downtown area.














Its mul-naengmyeon is really great. The chewy noodles, cold and properly sour broth and harmonious toppings were just perfect.



I ordered tteokalbi as well, and it really went well with cold noodles.  

I personally prefer mul-naengmyeon (soup one) to bibim-naengmyeon (red dry one). However, this place serves not too spicy but really good bibim one. So if you're not much a fan of spicy foods like me but want to try bibim, don't worry. It won't kill you.









※Jinju's Representative Foods List

1. Jinju naengmyeon (cold noodles)
2. Jinju bibimbap (rice mixed with vegetables)
3. grilled eel
4. steamed buns with red bean paste filling (at Subok Bbangjip 수복 빵집)

No comments:

Post a Comment